Key stage 1 Learning
Compulsory national curriculum subjects at primary school are:
- Design and Technology
- Art and Design
- Physical Education (PE), including swimming
- Ancient and modern foreign languages (at key stage 2)
Schools must provide religious education (RE) but parents can ask for their children to be taken out of the whole lesson or part of it.
Schools often also teach:
- Personal, Social & Health Education (PSHE)
- Modern Foreign Languages (at key stage 1)
Tests and assessments
Year 1 phonics screening check
The check will take place in June when your child will read 40 words out loud to a teacher. You’ll find out how your child did, and their teacher will assess whether he or she needs extra help with reading. If your child doesn’t do well enough in the check they’ll have to do it again in Year 2.
Key stage 1
Key stage 1 tests cover:
- English reading
- English grammar, punctuation and spelling
Your child will take the tests in May. You can ask the school for the test results. You’ll be sent the results of your child’s teacher assessments automatically.