Our Vision and Mission
Winterbourne Nursery and Infant School Vision Statement:
To provide high quality teaching and learning which inspires, motivates and engages all children to become life-long learners.
Winterbourne Nursery and Infant School Mission Statement:
We believe that high expectations, respect and a love of learning, contributes to success in school and in later life. Through our engaging curriculum, personalised learning and supportive community; we enable our pupils to flourish, feel safe and believe in themselves.
Our School Motto:
Inspire, Learn, Be Proud
Our Learning Values
Our Tag line
‘Together we …. can.’
At Winterbourne Nursery and Infant School, we believe that children learn best when they enjoy what they are doing. We believe in enriching and supporting learning through first hand and practical experiences and we use our knowledge of how children learn to ensure that excellence is achieved through enjoyment. Teaching takes place through a creative broad and balanced curriculum. This enables us at WNIS to deliver ‘themed based learning’ to enable the children to develop a variety of skills while growing in knowledge.
Our aim remains: ‘High Standards for all’ – and academic achievement is our main focus, but we want to provide a well-rounded education of the highest quality. The school ethos is forward-thinking, friendly and tolerant. We place great importance on Art and PE alongside the core subjects of English, Mathematics and Science. We are developing a reading culture at the school and encourage all children to participate in reading activities daily. At WINS we firmly believe that reading is at the heart of learning. By equipping children with the ability to read confidently they will be able to access all areas of learning and will have a solid foundation to grow as independent and confident learners. Our broad and balanced curriculum is what is needed to effectively prepare children for life in modern Britain.
We are blessed with a loyal and hardworking staff and governors which provides continuity and consistency for the children and their families. All the staff and governors have a deep commitment to improving the quality of teaching and learning across the school through professional development, calling on national experts to work with and alongside the staff. This has already had a profound effect on standards and has accelerated progress, particularly in our Early Years. There is some really outstanding teaching in our school as a result. We have used this to raise standards.
We want your children to really enjoy their time at Winterbourne and by the time they leave to be equipped with a whole range of skills that they will need in later life. We aim to help all our children to feel comfortable and at ease with growing up, and to exemplify tolerance towards others. Above all else, we hope that they look back at their time in the school with a real sense of achievement and enjoyment.
Winterbourne aims to be an open school, encouraging parents and carers to take as wide an interest and involvement as possible because we know that children make faster progress when we work in partnership.
The physical environment is constantly improving as this is very important for the children. This year we aim to create a garden within the school as a learning and growing garden. We have invested in the outdoor learning environment, we have also installed new windows in the Nursery and Reception canopy to develop a wonderful extended outdoor area.
We are developing a Friends of Winterbourne PTA that aspire to raise money for learning resources through events as well as support learning in school. You are very welcome to join them or just to come along to the different events which will be listed on the website.
If you would like to visit the school there are regular tours, please contact Sue Connelly through the school office.
Our Ethos and Values
Our school has an ethos in which teaching, learning and achievement are the core activities of the school, both indoors and outdoors.
In our school we aim to develop children who:
- Are confident, secure, independent learners who can reflect on and evaluate their own learning.
- Are active learners who have high self-esteem, are not afraid to take risks and can learn from their mistakes.
- Have positive attitudes towards all learning opportunities offered.
- Are effective communicators and collaborate well with each other.
- Make progress in relation to prior attainment to expected or better than expected levels.
- Are happy and excited to learn.
In our school we have staff who:
- See each child as unique.
- Involve children in the learning process, value themselves and the children.
- Have high expectations of the children and themselves.
- Recognise the achievements of children and colleagues.
- Support, challenge, encourage and inspire the children and colleagues.
- Evaluate and improve practice against agreed aims and are reflective practitioners.
- Work together as a team.
- Are positive role models.
In our school community we strive to have stakeholders/partners who play an active part in the life of the school.
We have parents who:
- Show commitment to the school.
- Understand and value the aims of the school.
- Are regularly informed of the learning opportunities that are offered to the children.
- Regularly attend school events.
- Promote the work of the school in the local community.
- Are made to feel welcome and are partners in their child’s learning.
- Support the work of the school.
- Play an active part in the life of the school.
- Work in partnership with the staff of the school.
- Promote the work of the school in the local community.
A local community which:
- Recognises the work of the school.
- Supports school events.
- Provides us with extended learning opportunities.
The Values that the children are taught underpin our Rights Respecting Ethos:
We work hard – We don’t waste our own or others’ time (we have the right to be educated)
We listen – We don’t interrupt (we have the right to be listened to)
We are honest – We don’t cover up the truth (we have the right to be listened to)
We are kind and helpful – We don’t hurt anybody’s feelings (we have the right to be safe)
We are gentle – We don’t hurt others with our words or actions (we have the right to be safe)
We take care of property – We don’t waste or damage things (we have the right to be safe/healthy)